Tuesday, June 1, 2010

The 365 Project: Day 151

I tried another step in the Fly Lady system today. I see all these testimonials about how much women are getting done by setting their 15 minute timers to tackle an area. Some seemed just a little far-fetched to me, so I decided it was time to try it myself.

Before making lunch today, I decided to set my timer for 15 minutes to get the kitchen cleaned up. I finished what I wanted to in less than 10 minutes(!) so I decided to open up our messiest cupboard and take a stab at getting it organized. I made it through everything but the candy by the time the timer went off. (As you can see, we have a bit of a sweet tooth in this house!)

Then, tonight, I set another 15 minute timer to pickup the craft room--otherwise known as "the room where all our clothes currently live" (since neither we nor our wardrobes can reside in the master until the bathroom renovation is complete). In those 15 minutes, I unpacked my suitcase from the weekend, folded 2 loads of laundry, picked up the room, and started a new load of laundry. Craziness, I tell ya! So then I set another 15 minutes for the kitchen chaos. I finished organizing the candy cabinet and had tons of time left, so I read through and organized the ever-growing stack of paper accumulating in our typical Hot Spot.

This 15 minute zone cleaning concept is ridiculous! 15 minutes is nothing--not scary or intimidating at all--and it's seriously NUTTY how much you can accomplish in that amount of time if you set a timer and focus on one specific area. Yay for the Homemaker-in-Training!

1 comment:

jbcorcor said...

This isn't working for me. Now I'm running out of excuses to be messy. You must stop with these guilt inducing blogs - soon I will be forced clean my apartment. The horror.