Monday, January 30, 2012

The Reluctant Meal Maker



The overarching theme for my 2012 resolutions is: BE PREPARED! I was hoping to join the Boy Scouts so they could teach me a thing or two, but I'm pretty sure they won't take me. Not because I'm a girl or too old (that would be discrimination); rather, because I'm a lost cause. Guess I'm on my own for this one!

There are about 112 bullets that come to mind under the BE PREPARED! header in my life that I currently suck at. Let's just say that I'm a much less organized person than people give me credit for. One thing is glaringly obvious to me: I have frustration in my life on a daily basis because I don't like to cook. I have no imagination in the kitchen. I hate having to clean up a mess 3 (or more!) times a day. Meal planning is completely foreign to me (the concept is literally something I discovered in the past year). I could go on, but this is not the point. The point is: cooking is now my J-O-B. Feeding my family healthy, nourishing meals multiple times a day is now one of my primary responsibilities. And not liking it and not knowing how are not acceptable excuses. This is the year that I learn. This is the year I get organized in the kitchen. Heck, this may even be the year that I learn to LIKE cooking! At the very least, this is the year that I remove the daily frustration.  

I got started just after we returned home from the holidays, and am happy to report that so far things are going WONDERFULLY! I'm planning to share a few of my motivators, things that are working for me, and some pleasant side effects of getting organized throughout the week. Join me? If you can stand my rambling long enough, you may even be rewarded with something super special at the end of the week: our list of January Winners: recipes we tried and loved enough to pass along! It's a list of links you won't want to miss! 

Print of image above can be purchased here

1 comment:

Jordan said...

Learning to cook and enjoy cooking was my 2011 resolution and I feel like I succeeded for the most part. I will say this, when I have to work long days, I feel a lot less like cooking when I get home. When I wasn't working, I really enjoyed planning meals and trying new recipes. One thing I do love is the slow cooker. You can make so many things in there, pulled pork, lasagna, scalloped potatoes, stew, pasta, veggies, etc. Also, try salmon, it's super easy to cook and only takes 10 or so minutes. Good luck.