Tuesday, November 16, 2010

That's a Lotta Ham

A conversation with Pat the other day about how good split pea soup must be cooked with the ham bone in the pot, led to these 3 purchases (big hunk of ham, meat thermometer, roasting pan). 

I figure my quest to be a happy homemaker should probably include some Betty Crocker old-school style cookery. (You know: cook and carve a hunk of ham, freeze it in individual serving sizes, use the fat and bone in soup stocks, etc., rather than buying the handy little microwavable slices.) 

Thankfully I have Raf to do the dirty work. Have I ever mentioned how I hate to handle raw meat? If I had to do it myself, I'd surely be a vegetarian...
PS-the split pea soup turned out pretty yummy! Refer to your handy Betty Crocker cookbook for the recipe. Although, note to self: try starting with 6 cups of water next time. (I prefer a thicker SP soup.)

No comments: