Thursday, January 6, 2011

Slow Cooker Chili

The only way I can find to feed us these days is if I manage to get something thrown into the slow cooker during a morning nap. (Which, of course, means I get us fed approximately twice per week!) Today, I made this chili and it was so, SO good!

A few notes on the recipe:
  • A commenter mentioned only leaving one can of beans undrained, rather than two. I took this advice and am glad I did. The consistency is perfect--not too thick, not too thin. 
  • We couldn't find 10.75 oz. cans of tomato puree--only the honkin' 29 oz can. I was tempted to use the whole thing, but refrained. I think a lot of homemade chili recipes end up tasting too tomato-ey and mild. This didn't. So throw the extra in some leftover pasta instead!
  • 1/8 tsp of hot sauce is a joke. Unless you only have crappy hot sauce. I poured in a nice little dollop of our favorite sauce and it made the chili flavor awesome. 
This one is definitely a wintertime keeper in our house! Enjoy!

Ingredients

  • 1 pound ground beef
  • 3/4 cup diced onion
  • 3/4 cup diced celery
  • 3/4 cup diced green bell pepper
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 2 (10.75 ounce) cans tomato puree
  • 1 (15 ounce) can kidney beans with liquid
  • 1 (15 ounce) can kidney beans, drained
  • 1 (15 ounce) can cannellini beans with liquid
  • 1/2 tablespoon chili powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon dried parsley
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 3/4 teaspoon dried basil
  • 3/4 teaspoon dried oregano
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
  • 1/8 teaspoon hot pepper sauce

Directions

  1. Place the beef in a skillet over medium heat, and cook until evenly brown. Drain grease.
  2. Place the beef in a slow cooker, and mix in onion, celery, green bell pepper, garlic, tomato puree, kidney beans, and cannellini beans. Season with chili powder, parsley, salt, basil, oregano, black pepper, and hot pepper sauce.
  3. Cover, and cook 8 hours on Low.

2 comments:

Jim said...

Yum. Next time you visit Rio, bring me a slow cooker!

Jordan said...

I have a really good slow cooker potato and corn chowder recipe I'll send you.