Wednesday, July 21, 2010

The 365 Project: Day 189 (July 9th)

Both of our days in Portland were chock full of on-the-go goodness. Friday began with a visit to Stumptown Printers, where I source the holders for the hand-stamped monogrammed CD holders I sell on Etsy. It was nice to stock up without having to pay for shipping, and super fun to see what their print house was like. It's tiny, and the front room is full of their graphic goodness. They also have a collection of samples of what people have done with their blanks, including the one above--intense!
We headed up to Mississippi Avenue to find a baby store, but we set out to find some lunch first, of course!
We ended up at a tasty little hole in the wall, Por Que No? taqueria. I got this mixed bowl of dipping goodness, with a strong glass of Jamaica, toned down with some fizzy water. (Can you see the original glass there on the left? It's almost black!)
Although I was tempted by the 17 different roach coaches on this street (and everywhere in this city!) Doesn't a waffle sandwich and ice cream sound yummy?!
After lunch, we cruised back towards the baby store, with ample stops along the way. First up was the Rebuilding Center. This place is HUGE! It's basically a resale center for salvaged building supplies. But it's way more than that. It's pretty awesome. And it's beautiful! This is part of the fence outside.
And this is one of the entryways. Crazy!
The coolest part was the ReFind Furniture store inside. They have so many great examples of how to repurpose the old supplies--they even have classes!
I clearly need to learn how to make my own picture frames.
And I'm totally smitten with this cleaned up window, transformed into a mirror! We have 3 huge frameless mirrors lying around the house and I'm now dying to figure out how to cut them to fit in an old window. I think Dad even saved a couple of his old storm windows for me!
Gorgeous. (But about the same price as my Crate & Barrel favorite!)
Mom's favorite--super fun! This place really was incredible. Maybe I should open one in the Bay. :)
Another stop included an unexpected baby store find. Super cute stuff, including these bibs, which I really need to make. And mom bought a rolling duck on a stick for the baby--it's seriously the cutest toy I've ever seen!
And we finally made it to Black Wagon, the baby store we originally came to visit! It's a great little shop, full of wooden toys and beautiful books--just what I needed to ease into baby shopping craziness! We picked up a couple locally made wooden rattles, and I even added some items to my very first online baby registry after we got home. Their stuff is just too cute to miss!
Whew! Tired yet? This was only Day 1!

2 comments:

Valerie said...

Love the table, but have to agree with your mom. That repurposes window/door frame in to corkboard, mirror, white board with shelf is going in to my I *heart* this list... It would look amazing in my new house entry way or kitchen (I think, considering I've never actually seen my new house :-) )

brooke said...

I know! Isn't it great? It would look fab in your house, I'm sure of it!