Monday, July 26, 2010

The 365 Project: Day 190 (July 10th)

Portland Day 2 started off with a visit to the Saturday Market. It's chock full of handmade goodness, so I was struggling to keep my wallet in my purse!
But really, the best part was lunch! I had a few bites of my mom's fresh burrito, but was really most excited about this overflowing bowl of fruity tastiness!
Cutest coach we've seen yet!
We tried to survive the line at VooDoo Doughnuts, but it was too long, too hot, and was not moving! Oh well, at least I have great doughnuts at home!
Side note: RAF! I love this door! Go! :)
After our leisurely morning at the Market, it was time to get serious. I had discovered that "the largest fabric store in the nation", the Fabric Depot, is in Portland. Obviously, this was not to be missed! And thank goodness we didn't, this place is like the Costco of fabric!! And get this--they were having a SALE! Not just any sale--all quilting cottons for $6.99/yard...and NO TAX!!! AHHHH! System overload! Seriously. We spent 4 hours (FOUR HOURS!) at this place! And my mom hasn't quilted in a decade. Which means that was all me. Woah. It was so exhausting....and worth every minute!
Starving and completely spent, we headed out to pick up my little brother (who had just flown in from SF after a long day of spending his per diem at the bar!) We got the tour of the yard at his new place, egg laying hens, garden, and freshly dug compost pile included. (I love Portland! Seriously, a house full of young party boys with chickens?!!?)
Cory took us to this cool local fast food joint, Burgerville. They're all over Portland. They look just like your run of the mill fast food place, drive through and all. But they source their foods locally, they serve what's in season, they even compost. Pretty sweet. And the coolest part? They print out the calorie/fat information for each item, and totals for each individual, right on the receipt! This is where I learned that I really need to give up the strawberry shake addiction once the baby's born.

No comments: