Sunday, October 31, 2010

Happy Halloween!

Lana dressed up as a tomato to celebrate her very first Halloween! Cutest bitty baby costume ever? I think so!

I had sent a photo of an adorable tomato hat to my pro-knitter friend, Sherga, months ago. I thought it was cute and would make her smile. But what does she do? She goes and makes one for Lana! Isn't it amazing?! And she thought it was beyond her skill level. HA! I must say, the color looks a little familiar...I wonder if she used the yarn I passed on to her, since I had no plans of ever finishing a knitting project (despite her best efforts to teach me how!)?

Abby delivered the hat when she came to visit a couple weeks ago. I've been saving it for Halloween, knowing I wouldn't be come up with a costume any cuter than a tomato! To complete the look, I used some Rit dye to turn one of her little white onesies red. It was a pretty simple process, but the color turns out quite a bit lighter when the process is finished than it looks when sitting in the dye bath. 
One of our neighbors thought Lana was a pumpkin. That's cool too. If I add a little antique effect, she definitely looks like one! 
Kicking it with the neighbors pumpkins...

Are we done yet? I'm bored. 
Seriously, parents! Are we done yet?!
Nevermind, I'm over it. 
Thank you, Sherga, for the awesomest handmade gift ever! Lana loves it, and so do we!

6 comments:

Patt said...

Oh, so cute! Tomato, pumpkin...she's as cute as a bean! :-D xxoo

Jordan said...

oh god. what a sweet little angel. I've had some experience with Rit dye and there are ways to make it darker. One is by diluting it less and to leave it in, stirring it, for 30-60 minutes. Also, a lot of times wtih Rit you have to dye it more than once to get the desired color. It's kind of a pita.

Anonymous said...

that has to be the sweetest tomato ever! she's getting so big! miss her and you so much! sending lots of kisses! xoxoxox

Abby said...

The most adorable tomato ever!!!! Love the pics, thank you for sharing!

Sherga said...

Oh my gosh, thanks for sharing, Brooke! So cute! I'm so glad the hat worked out for Lana. I was so stressed knitting it! And you turned it into a Halloween costume too! Who would have ever guessed? You are just too clever. :)

Bryn said...

How adorable. What a cute tomato. I've only ever dyed tights black, and it worked fine. I'd recommend washing it separately....at least the first time. I think I got a few items of clothing a little blotchy. Oops.