Wednesday, August 11, 2010

The 365 Project: Day 222

At a BBQ at my neighbor, Lisa's, house this weekend, I was chatting with Bryn about my strongest pregnancy food cravings: In & Out and the Donut Wheel--a downtown Livermore staple. First things first, we need to talk about the Donut Wheel.

Follow that link above you'll notice 4.5/5 stars on Yelp from 93 reviewers. Yes, it's that good. Actually, it's better. The 2 star people are idiots. They're mad cuz the Wheel is often sold out of what you want. I agree that sucks--but it's because they're THAT good! They make perfect donuts--old school style; not like the crap you get at grocery stores. Their chocolate old fashioned is my personal favorite, but they also have these creme-filled, powdered donut holes that are TO.DIE.FOR. And I don't even like filled donuts. Thankfully they're sold out of these most of the time, otherwise I'd be packing on more pounds than I'd care to admit. And the best part? They're open 24 hours! Which comes in pretty handy for those late night pregnancy cravings.

But, obviously, we're not here to talk about donuts today, because the photo above is clearly not filled with doughy goodness. So, back to where this story started. Bryn asked me if I'd tried the "frozen cotton candy" at the Donut Wheel. I had no idea what she was talking about, so I asked a dozen questions, but she hadn't tried it either, rather had just heard the legends of it.

So, after lunch with Kaylie today, I decided we needed to give it a go. According to the friendly man serving us (who brought this delectable treat to the Wheel), it's called "Snow Miracle". He described it as a mix between ice cream and a snow cone. He said it's Taiwanese, is super popular internationally, and has been around for 30 years.

Basically, it's made from a big cubes of a fruit and juice concoction that's been frozen solid, and is then shaved and ends up a consistency much like Bryn described--frozen cotton candy! It has the same lightness and melt in your mouth goodness of cotton candy--but it's icy! It would be the perfect treat on a super hot day, when dairy based ice cream and frozen yogurt are just too thick and sticky to hit the spot.

As you can see here, there are a ton of flavors available. Most contain dairy, but they have a dairy-free selection too. There are tons of fruit flavors (we tried mango and honeydew today), but I'm also pretty curious about the chocolate, peanut, and coffee options. Oh wow...I wonder if you can mix flavors?? Uh oh...
I'm super stoked about this new find! It's sure to become a quick favorite. And they even have frequent buyer cards--woo hoo! (I wish they had those for the donuts!) You must go try it, Bryn!
Thanks for coming to visit and testing out the Snow Miracle with me, Kay! I had a great time, as always!

Side note: doesn't the first photo look like cheese covered cheese?? I'm not that pregnant!

Side note #2: look who's caught up on her 365 posting! Woo hoo!

2 comments:

Bryn said...

Haha! That's so awesome! I can't wait to try it. Are you also a fro yo fan? Because we could really just eat our way down first street.

brooke said...

Heck Yes! We love froyo. Though we end up at Golden Spoon most of the time, if we're not already downtown.