Thursday, August 12, 2010

The 365 Project: Day 223

This was Gina's last day at ACS, so I made her some pickled carrots (her favorite, not mine) to help her celebrate! I used the recipes/instructions found on Smitten Kitchen here and Etsy's Eatsy here. My combo ended up looking something like this:
  • 2 lbs carrots
  • 2c water
  • 2c cider vinegar
  • 1/4c sugar
  • 2t salt
  • 5-6 cloves crushed garlic
  • a few shakes of chili powder
  • 1t red pepper flakes per pint (put directly in jar with carrots)
I simmered the brine for 15 minutes, then added the garlic and chili powder and let it sit for another 5 before pouring it over the carrots and pepper flakes. I ended up with 2.5 pints of pickled refrigerator carrots; with more carrots, I probably would have had just enough brine for 3 full pints. These aren't processed (I've yet to find a recipe), so they need to go into the fridge. They should sit for a couple days to soak up the flavors before eating, and should be finished within a few weeks.

I also spent the day chopping up bell peppers to be frozen. We love bell peppers, and I love paying $.50 each while in season, as opposed to the $3 stores want in the wintertime!
One bag of chunks, one bag of strips. I'll be thankful for these babies in my thai curry round about January!

No comments: